Help your neighbors recycle better.
BizRecycling is looking for people who live in apartment buildings and want to inspire their neighbors to reduce waste and recycle better. Selected individuals will help educate their neighbors about how to discard of items in a way that benefits their health and the environment.
What does an Apartment Recycling Specialist do?
- Orientation will be Tuesday, September 6, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. You will meet other Apartment Recycling Specialists and mentors from Minnesota Waste Wise. We will discuss the details of the program. Orientation will be virtual using Zoom.
- Complete the Ramsey County Recycling Ambassador Program. During this 6-week training you’ll learn about environmental health, waste systems and recycling. Workshops will take place virtually using Zoom Tuesdays, starting September 13 through October 18 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Please make sure you have access to a webcam, microphone, and are available for all 6 workshops before registering.
- Complete specialized training on recycling in apartment buildings. Date and time to be determined. You’ll work with a mentor from Minnesota Waste Wise and other Apartment Recycling Specialists to learn the nuts of bolts of recycling and waste management issues in apartment buildings.
- Educate your neighbors and reduce waste at your apartment building. Examples include:
- Provide residents with tips and resources for waste reduction, recycling, and food scraps disposal.
- Answer residents’ questions and assist with concerns related to waste and recycling.
- Monitor the proper use and locations of the building’s garbage and recycling containers.
- Coordinate activities to support donation and/or recycling of mattresses/furniture, clothing, food scraps, plastic bags/film, and other materials that are more difficult to recycle.
- Work closely with building management and program partners to track and report progress.
For How Long
Apartment Recycling Specialists commit to 6 months.
Specialists will receive a monthly stipend up to $250 for completing an average of 2-3 hours of activities per week.
- Currently live in an apartment or other multi-unit building and be in good standing with the landlord/building manager.
- Property must be located in Ramsey County and within a medium to high-risk census tract as defined by the Ramsey County Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment.
- Plan to maintain a lease in the same building for the duration of the program (at least 6 months).
- Demonstrate passion for recycling and waste reduction.
- Be able to provide a completed W-9 form for payment purposes.
- Be able to dedicate an average of 2-3 hours per week for completing activities.
- Be able to attend all applicable trainings and meetings for the program.
- Submit a monthly report to show hours and activities completed (a form will be provided for you to fill out).
Apply to be an Apartment Recycling Specialist!
A new group of Apartment Recycling Specialists starts every six months. You may apply at any time during the year, however applications are reviewed twice per year – in February and in August. Following application review, a new group of specialists are selected and accepted in March and September of each year. When you apply, you can expect to hear from us either way in February or August – whichever of these occurs sooner.
To be considered for the fall cohort, apply by August 30.