Help your neighbors recycle better.
BizRecycling is looking for people who live in apartment buildings and want to inspire their neighbors to reduce waste and recycle better. Selected individuals will help educate their neighbors about how to discard items in a way that benefits their health and the environment.
What does an Apartment Recycling Specialist do?
- Orientation will be Tuesday, March 7th from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. You will meet other Apartment Recycling Specialists and mentors from Minnesota Waste Wise. We will discuss the details of the program. Orientation will be virtual using Zoom.
- Complete the Ramsey County Recycling Ambassador Program. During this 6-week training you’ll learn about environmental health, waste systems and recycling. Workshops will take place virtually using Zoom Tuesdays, starting March 14th through April 18th from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Please make sure you have access to a webcam, microphone, and are available for all 6 workshops before registering.
- Complete specialized training on recycling in apartment buildings. Date and time to be determined. You’ll work with a mentor from Minnesota Waste Wise and other Apartment Recycling Specialists to learn the nuts and bolts of recycling and waste management issues in apartment buildings.
- Educate your neighbors and reduce waste at your apartment building. Examples include:
- Provide residents with tips and resources for waste reduction, recycling, and food scraps disposal.
- Answer residents’ questions and assist with concerns related to waste and recycling.
- Monitor the proper use and locations of the building’s garbage and recycling containers.
- Coordinate activities to support donation and/or recycling of mattresses/furniture, clothing, food scraps, plastic bags/film and other materials that are more difficult to recycle.
- Work closely with building management and program partners to track and report progress.
For How Long
Apartment Recycling Specialists commit to 6 months, and may be able to extend their term up to a year. New terms begin once a year, in March.
Specialists will receive a monthly stipend up to $250 for completing an average of 2-3 hours of activities per week.
- Currently live in an apartment or other multi-unit building and be in good standing with the landlord/building manager.
- Building manager must sign an agreement to support specialist activities.
- Property must be located in Ramsey County and within a medium to high-risk census tract as defined by the Ramsey County Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment.
- Plan to maintain a lease in the same building for the duration of the program (at least 6 months).
- Demonstrate passion for recycling and waste reduction.
- Be able to provide a completed W-9 form for payment purposes.
- Be able to dedicate an average of 2-3 hours per week for completing activities.
- Be able to attend all applicable trainings and meetings for the program.
- Submit a monthly report to show hours and activities completed (a form will be provided for you to fill out).
Apply to be an Apartment Recycling Specialist!
- Applications are reviewed once a year, on March 1st.
- You can apply any time of the year, but we won’t be reaching out to applicants until March.
- After review, applicants will be notified if they are accepted into the program, on a waitlist, or don’t meet program requirements (see eligibility requirements above)
- We want to work with as many residents as possible! However, this program does have limited spots, so you may be placed on a waitlist.
- Thank you for your interest in waste reduction and recycling!
Are you a Property Manager or Owner?
Apartment Recycling Specialists can benefit the waste management operations and sense of community pride at your property. Coupled with technical assistance and grant funding from our program, you may see the following benefits:
- Reduction in recycling and trash bills
- Reduction in contamination feeds
- Cleaner common areas
- Increased community collaboration
- Positive environmental benefits
Help us recruit a Specialist for your property!